Neurokinetic Therapy (NKT)
Stimulate the Body and Mind to Resolve Pain
What is Neurokinetic Therapy (NKT)?
How Can We Help?
Neurokinetic Therapy is a way of naturally restoring and correcting learned movement patterns and muscle functions within the body that can result in poor posture, joint pain and muscle fatigue.
How does NKT Work?
Neurokinetic Therapy is a combination of manual muscle testing and motor control theory. The body’s movement patterns are stored in the Motor Control Centre (MCC) located in the cerebellum. When a muscle is injured or is weak, it changes its movement pattern to compensate for the weakness or loss of movement in another muscle. Neurokinetic Therapy helps detect the root of the problem and tackle it from there. This allows for quicker and long-lasting results.
NKT is based on the principle that when muscles in the body become weak other muscles will compensate for them. Following an injury, muscle tissue can become weak forcing other muscles to work harder than they are designed to do to compensate for the imbalance. This model is known as the body’s muscle compensation patterns. These patterns can be seen in people living with chronic or acute weakness and pain. However many healthy people with these imbalances can go years before the effects start to surface.
Call Us Today: 2167 7305
See What Our Clients Are Saying
How is Neurokinetic Therapy Performed?
The MCC stores this compensatory movement forever until it’s corrected. NKT can help the MCC unlearn the incorrect movement pattern and replace it with the correct one. The MCC learns or re-learns the correct movement pattern by failing. Manual muscle testing is used to test the muscle. When the muscle fails, it creates a short window for the MCC to correct dysfunctional movement patterns. During this small window, we assess where the problem lies and help correct it.
The NKT session can be followed up with some exercises for the clients to perform at home or in their gym. This modality has helped a lot of our clients regain normal movement and strength in specific body parts.
NKT requires us to stretch or massage certain parts of your body. Wearing comfortable clothing will help during this process.
Who Benefits from NKT the Most?
NKT is used as an assessment and rehabilitation method. It’s beneficial to people of all ages and walks of life, from young to old, athletes to sedentary; those involved in accidents or repetitive strain disorders. Some of the disorders that NKT can be used to help correct and heal include:
- Injuries sustained by in an impact or accident
- Lower back pain
- Neck and jaw pain (including whiplash and TMJ)
- Carpal tunnel
- Tennis and golfers elbow
- Plantar fasciitis
- Frozen shoulder
- Nerve impingement
- Sports injuries such as hamstring and groin strains.
Advantages of NKT
NKT is a useful bodywork modality for people of all ages and fitness levels. We highly recommend it for people suffering from certain pains and injuries detailed below:
- Tissues and muscles are manipulated to reduce pain and tension in the muscles. Therapists first focus on reducing pain to allow the muscle to relax and re-learn the natural movement. Regular sessions and exercise are needed to re-train the muscle. Once the issue of muscle pain and tension is addressed, the underlying problem of the muscle movement needs to be addressed.
- Neurokinetic Therapy helps speed up post-injury recovery by reducing muscle pain and tension, and helping the muscle regain complete range of motion. After an injury, the muscles get weak, and that part of the body becomes susceptible to other injuries. NKT helps resolve this problem as well as any swelling or spasms that might occur as a result. Due to the overcompensation pattern that sets in post-injury, people could suffer from headaches, sleep issues, nerve damage and other such problems. Since NKT works on resolving the problem at the root, these associated problems also get treated.
- NKT is useful for professional runners who might be suffering from poor balance, reduced range of motion, lower stamina, etc. NKT can help athletes prevent injuries, aid speedy muscle recovery, increase their strength and endurance, improve balance and posture, reduce muscle tenderness and spasms, and more. This allows athletes to perform better and recover quickly from muscle fatigue.
- People suffering from recurring neck and back pain can treat the problem at the root with the help of Neurokinetic Therapy. The pain is likely to return if the muscle compensation pattern isn’t corrected. NKT helps the muscle relearn the correct movement pattern and reduce muscle strain. The same applies to headaches and shoulder pain. Any tension caused by incorrect posture or injury of the shoulder will result in tightness of the shoulders, upper back and neck. This results in headaches. NKT can correct this muscle compensation pattern and treat the cause of the headache.